[Supertux-Devel] iPhone Version of SuperTux

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Mar 31 10:20:22 PDT 2010

Stop the presses!  The FSF finally answered me yesterday and pointed out
a provision of the iPhone App Store agreement that is incompatible with
any copyleft: "The license granted to the end-user for the Licensed
Application must be limited to a non-transferable license to use the
Licensed Application on an iPhone OS Product that the end-user owns or
controls [...]".  I'm using the EFF-hosted copy of the agreement at:

http://www.eff.org/files/20100127_iphone_dev_agr.pdf

So, Thomas, you're out of luck even for the GPLv2 code unless the
SuperTux contributors grant you additional permission to distribute the
iPhone app under such a restricted end-user license.  And other GPLv2
iPhone apps such as Tux Rider World Challenge are technically violating
the GPL, though I guess no one has sued about it yet.

I'm still following up with the FSF about the installation information
requirement specifically, but that point is now definitely moot here.

--
Matt